Monday, September 6, 2010

Week 1, so far.


fabric, papers, Vogue September Issue. paintings behind, lamp pencils, watering can. 
This is a table full of brainstorming activity.





4"x6". marker, pastel, paper on paper.
First drawing. I had just done the figure when I walked to the store and found that heart on the ground. it's not attached yet, but I like the idea. It's the start of something funny.

I got kind of frustrated starting out. I had said I wanted to warm up with a bunch of little ones but then the content seemed to be daunting. So, I turned to the magazines. At fist i was kind of stressing about the work being so derivative, I think it's ok to start here, especially while i explore what about fashion is so interesting. My fascination with the fashion industry is not just because i covet new clothes. So, to escape from the derivation, I asked my friend, who modeled for me a ton in undergrad, to do a photo shoot. I'm going to go out to her farm and we are going to play dress-up and scheme up a ton of different scenes, then I can use them to pull loosely based compositions, but having the characters for proportion and line references. As I was writing Kelley to ask her to conspire, I stumbled onto a key point, "I think what I am really attracted to in fashion is the way all the design elements come together on the page. High end fashion ads have all the elements that interest me, people and clothing in environments that create remarkable compositions with new, surprising colors and textures, and a little loose story telling. "





24"x26". acrylic on wood.
The above 2 images are inspired by the left page of the Dior ad in the first pic. I'm actually really liking this one. I'm tempted to wait to add to it, but I probably won't. I'm love the monochromatic. It doesn't have white, that's just the luan contrasting with the black made out of raw umber and ultramarine blue.

Right now it looks like a Nefertiti (Egyptian mid-1300s BC)


mixed with a Toulouse-Lautrec chorus girl (late nineteenth century.)




Since I like what I have I'm not sure where to go.




9"x12". acrylic on paper.
This is going to be based off the right-hand page of the Dior spread. This will have much more added, just a first layer.





8"x10". acrylic on paper.
This one I just started and intuitively tried to extract the figure, definitely just the beginning, here, too.

1 comment:

  1. Oh cool, I just found this Modigliani when I was doing drawing research!

    Modigliani

    ReplyDelete

 

ds2: Mixed Media Compositions © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates